Being originally from Argentina, I have both lived in and traveled often to Buenos Aires for many years. This paired with having various family members and friends living there as lifelong locals, has led me to gather great top hotel picks throughout the years while helping fellow travel enthusiasts seeking local advice.
Buenos Aires is a vibrant cosmopolitan city known for its rich cultural heritage, elegant architecture, world-class cuisine, and thriving nightlife. Popularly called the Paris of the South, Buenos Aires is home to a stunningly wide range of attractions that cater to the tastes of travelers from all walks of life.
If you are planning to visit Buenos Aires, it’s vital to choose the right hotel to stay in. A hotel that’s appropriate for your needs can significantly enhance your vacation experience. On the other hand, a poor hotel that disappoints you in terms of quality and service can turn your dream vacation into a nightmare. You don’t have to see a movie to know this.
*This post contains compensated links. Find more info in my DISCLAIMER. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of contents
- Argentina’s Promotional Exchange Rate – All Credit Card Purchases Carry An Almost 50% Rebate
- Our Recommendations For The Top Buenos Aires Hotels
- Excellent Accommodations for You in Buenos Aires: Final Thoughts
Argentina’s Promotional Exchange Rate – All Credit Card Purchases Carry An Almost 50% Rebate
Before we review my top picks for hotels in Buenos Aires, this may be one of the most important things to keep in mind when planning a trip to Argentina.
When booking through any booking website such as Booking.com (and choose not to prepay) or even booking directly through any hotel, it’s super important to note that based on exchange rate rules in Argentina, the rate you see will not be your final effective rate. This is because the Central Bank of Argentina offers a promotion that works in the following way:
- At the time you purchase you will see the original rate (as seen online) which is based on the official Argentine exchange rate.
- A few days later, you will receive a refund for the exchange rate difference between the official exchange rate and the new promotional exchange rate (or MEP).
- The promotional exchange rate (MEP) is roughly 2 times the official – meaning it splits your final rate almost in half
- Any tax rates you see on booking websites will also not carry tax upon presentation of foreign credit card and passport
This principle actually also applies to ANY credit card purchases made in Argentina including restaurants, shopping, transportation, activities, etc. What a great reason to visit Argentina right?
Our Recommendations For The Top Buenos Aires Hotels
|Buenos Aires Hotel||Best For||Rates From||Where To Book|
|🏨 Palacio Duhau Park Hyatt||👨👩👧👦 Best For Families||$740||💶 Check Rates|
|🏨 Alvear Palace||🏅Best Five Star Hotel||$948||💶 Check Rates|
|🏨 Four Seasons Buenos Aires||💑 Perfect For Couples||$886||💶 Check Rates|
|🏨 Hub Porteño||🌆 Best For City Views||$451||💶 Check Rates|
|🏨 Legado Mitico||🎭 Best for Culture Enthusiasts||$332||💶 Check Rates|
|🏨 Home Hotel||🏡 Best for a Homely Vibe||$149||💶 Check Rates|
|🏨 Palo Santo Hotel||🌿 Best for Eco-Conscious Travelers||$222||💶 Check Rates|
The Luxury Hotel Experience in Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires has a number of luxury hotels that can make your vacation more memorable by providing a combination of comfort, convenience, privacy, security, and exceptional service. My picks for best luxury hotels in Buenos Aires are:
Palacio Duhau Park Hyatt Buenos Aires
Located in the upscale Recoleta neighborhood of Buenos Aires, the Palacio Duhau combines historic elegance with luxurious amenities. With its manicured gardens, cascading fountains, and gorgeous chandeliers, the hotel’s architecture is a stunning blend of Belle Epoque and Art Deco styles. From spacious rooms to restaurants that serve haute cuisine, personal butler service, an indoor pool, and a cigar lounge, the hotel has a lot in store to pamper you.
The Alvear Palace is the epitome of old-world elegance and sophistication. Opened in 1932, the Alvear Palace is known for its classical European-style architecture and luxurious rooms and suites that are decorated in Louis XV and Louis XVI styles. Due to its long-standing reputation as a top-rated luxury hotel, the Alvear Palace has become one of the most important landmarks in Buenos Aires.
The Four Seasons Hotel Buenos Aires
The Four Seasons has long been synonymous with luxury accommodation in Buenos Aires. One of the most notable aspects of the hotel is its equine-themed décor, which pays homage to Argentina’s rich equestrian tradition. The hotel offers an excellent view of the Obelisco de Buenos Aires, a national historic monument and an important landmark in Buenos Aires. The hotel’s restaurant Elena serves excellent Argentinian Kobe and an assortment of seafood.
Unique Amenities Offered by Luxury Hotels in Buenos Aires
One of the advantages of staying at a high-end hotel is that you can enjoy certain best-in-class amenities that might not be available in most other hotels.
The Palacio Duhau has Ahin Wellness & Spa, which is one of the biggest and most exclusive spas in Buenos Aires. From hot stone massages to facial treatments, body scrubs, private meditation sessions, and aromatherapy treatments, the spa offers a wide range of services to reinvigorate your senses and restore the natural rhythm of your body.
The Alvear Palace has a rooftop pool and a bar, which offer a spectacular view of the city’s skyline. The hotel also has solariums, where you can sit back, relax, and enjoy the sun in a tranquil atmosphere.
The Four Seasons has an outdoor pool, where you can soak up the sun and have your favorite drinks delivered right to your deck chair. It also offers a wide range of services including private tango dance classes, private cooking lessons, and private coffee lessons to make your stay all the more memorable.
Boutique Hotels in Buenos Aires
If you are looking for a less expensive alternative to five-star hotels, staying in a boutique hotel might be the ideal option for you. While these hotels might not be as extravagant as luxury hotels, the comfort and the homey feeling they offer cannot be matched at all. The best boutique hotels in Buenos Aires are:
Hub Porteno is a charming boutique hotel that has all the amenities you would expect in a hotel of this size and then some. From comfortably furnished suites to a terrace bar, gym, and dry sauna, the hotel has everything you need for a comfortable stay. Right next door is La Pecora Nera Grill, where you can enjoy the finest Argentine dishes – from asado to dulce de leche.
Legado Mitico is the place to stay in Buenos Aires if you want to get a glimpse of authentic Argentine culture and history. There are 11 guest rooms, each of which is named after Argentina’s favorite pastimes, icons, and folk symbols. From Che Guevara’s portraits to Jorge Luis Borges’ books, you can find a wide range of items that represent Argentina’s politics, art, music, and literature.
If you are looking for a hotel with a homely vibe, there is no better place to stay than Home Hotel Buenos Aires. With a retro Scandinavian look, the hotel has a comforting and relaxing vibe to it. Do not let the unassuming exterior mislead you. The hotel has everything you need for a comfortable stay – from 24-hour concierge service to complimentary breakfast, free Wi-Fi, spa, sauna, bar, outdoor pool, and more. The Home Hotel is located in Palermo Hollywood, which is known as the gastronomic hub of Buenos Aires. Within walking distance of the hotel is the city center, where you can find a wide range of tourist attractions.
Palo Santo Hotel
If you are an environmentally conscious person, you will definitely enjoy your stay at Palo Santo. The hotel is built to Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standards and has incorporated a wide range of energy-efficient solutions to make its operations environmentally friendly. You can find fresh flowers and plants everywhere and there is a 90-feet vertical garden that serves as natural insulation. The hotel also offers all the modern comforts you need – from comfortably furnished rooms to Wi-Fi, a fitness center, a restaurant, a rooftop terrace with a shallow pool, hot tub, and more.
If you are looking for great quality options with even more conservative nightly rates, here are some additional picks for great hotels in Buenos Aires for the price:
BA Sohotel – Palermo
Casa Bevant – Recoleta
L’ Adresse Hotel Boutique – San Telmo
Fine Dining Experience in Buenos Aires Hotels
If you want to experience and enjoy the very best of Buenos Aires’s culinary scene, it is important to choose a hotel with a fine dining restaurant. Given below is a brief list of hotels with the best fine-dining restaurants in Buenos Aires.
- Four Seasons Hotel – Elena Restaurant
- Palacio Duhau Park Hyatt – Duhau Restaurant & Vinoteca
- Alvear Palace Hotel – Alvear Grill, L’Orangerie, Café Alvear, Alvear Sushi Bar, and Alvear Roof Bar
- Hilton Buenos Aires – El Faro Restaurant and Croutons Grab ‘n Go
How Fine Dining Can Enhance Your Vacation Experience
Fine dining restaurants feature tasteful décor, live music, and elegant ambiance, which can elevate your dining experience and make occasions like birthdays and anniversaries all the more special. You can enjoy gourmet meals prepared by award-winning chefs, savor exquisitely tasty dishes, and explore cuisines from different parts of the country.
Many of these restaurants also offer an extensive menu of drinks – including premium Argentine wine from different regions of the country. They also offer unique dining experiences like themed dinners, wine tastings, and chef’s tables, which can make your vacation experience more enjoyable and memorable.
Factors to Consider While Choosing a Hotel in Buenos Aires
There are a number of factors you should consider while choosing a hotel in Buenos Aires. These include:
- Budget: Buenos Aires offers a wide range of options – from budget-friendly hostels to five-star hotels. Establishing a budget can narrow down your choices and make it easier for you to choose the right hotel. I use Booking.com for most of my hotel searches as you can set your filters to the rates within your budget.
- Location: Consider which neighborhoods align with your interests and activities. My favorites are Recoleta, Palermo, and San Telmo as they are beautiful, safer than most others and close to many top cultural attractions and night spots. Microcentro is ideal for business travelers, while Puerto Madero offers modern amenities and a waterfront setting.
- Proximity to Attractions: Find out if the hotel is located conveniently close to the attractions you intend to visit.
- Amenities: Make a list of the amenities you cannot do without – from free Wi-Fi to complimentary breakfast, fitness center, swimming pool, and spa facilities. Different hotels offer different amenities, so prioritize what matters to you.
- Accessibility: If you have specific accessibility needs, such as wheelchair access or special dietary requirements, check if the hotel can accommodate them.
- Cuisine: If you are a food enthusiast, consider staying in a neighborhood known for its dining scene or choosing a hotel with an on-site restaurant that aligns with your culinary preferences. I would definitely recommend Recoleta or Palermo as they have some of Buenos Aires’ top dining options with great walkability both day and night. I would also suggest taking a Buenos Aires Food Tour to get the full local food experience.
- Transportation: If you plan to explore the city or take day trips, check if the hotel offers convenient access to public transportation or can arrange transportation services for you. I would not recommend taking the subway on peak hours during weekdays (between 8am – 10am and 6pm – 8pm). Uber operates in Buenos Aires and is super affordable with the current exchange rate compared to most foreign currencies (so are local taxis but you will need to carry cash).
- Local Experience: For a more immersive experience, consider boutique hotels or guesthouses that offer a more personalized and local touch, often with knowledgeable staff who can provide recommendations and insights about the city.
Excellent Accommodations for You in Buenos Aires: Final Thoughts
Buenos Aires offers a fairly diverse range of accommodation options – ranging from luxury hotels to boutique hotels, business hotels, bed & breakfasts, and more. No matter what your budget is and what your preferences are, with a little research you can find an accommodation that perfectly suits your needs. Picking the right hotel can help you make the most of your time in Buenos Aires and enjoy the very best of what the city has to offer. I hope you enjoyed my top picks for a range of different types of amazing properties, as well as additional considerations that I felt will help you plan your next hotel booking in Buenos Aires.